Thursday, April 4, 2013

As Perceived by Crystellen Treasure 3


A knock on the door interrupted my nap.  Before I could get off my bed, Mom barged into my bedroom.

“Young lady,” she said, “come with me.”  She grabbed me by the arm and pulled me off my bed.

I hated it when she called me “young lady.”  Most days she said I didn’t act like a lady, so when she called me one, I knew I was in trouble.

When we reached the steps, she still hadn’t let go of my arm, so I stumbled down the stairs behind her.  In the living room, my sister’s love interest Losten laid on the sofa.  I stood beside Mom and glanced down at the coffee table.  At least it shielded me from my sister’s unpleasant stare.

“How much cassidium did you give him?” Mom asked.  “How many drops?”

I glanced at Losten.  He laid before me in misery.  I hadn’t quite intended him to be that uncomfortable, though I knew it was a possible side-effect.  I glanced back at the floor.  “Drops, I dunno,” I replied.  “One or two tablespoons in his tea yesterday.”

Mom said something that I barely heard.  Instead I stared at Losten, who appeared to be in a lot of pain.  Had I given him too much cassidium?

He moaned. 

His cheeks looked flushed.  Even the Manicotti didn’t deserve this.  On second thought, they probably did.  However, what I had done seemed a little inhumane, even though the situation had justified it.

Mom said something about how he might die. 
Could someone really die from cassidium poisoning?  Why hadn’t somebody mentioned this before?  All I wanted to do was protect my sister and my family, not kill him.  I pulled free from Mom’s grip and ran to the kitchen.  Perhaps there was still a way to save him?

No comments:

Post a Comment