Friday, March 29, 2013

As Perceived by Crystellen Treasure 2


My cheeks reddened as a tear slipped past my palms.  Oh, great, I thought; now I’m crying.  I’m glad no one’s here to see this.

I grabbed a tissue from the box on top of my desk and wiped my eyes.  I glanced up at the painting of a mermaid above my desk.  Emerys had made it for me when I was little.  I probably wasn’t older than seven then, though she was already a teenager.

We used to be close.  She used to play games with me.  Much more so than Cat ever did.  But, Cat was basically an adult by the time I was born.  It’s all her fault that Em and I drifted apart.  Once Cat married Robert and moved out of our house, Em started playing the role of big sister.  She told me I needed someone besides our parents to look out for me, as Cat had done for her.  Like I really needed someone to look out for me.
 
I walked over to my window and stared out at the water.  Sometimes saving people felt like a curse, a burden that we always must bear.  I glanced down at my watch.  My turn in the water would start in a few hours; I might as well sleep for a bit, since I would be in the water for the next six.
At least it would be a break from the drama downstairs.  Didn't Emerys realize that I was just trying to protect us all?

2 comments:

  1. I can't wait to read your next book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the encouragement! It should be out by January, if not before... :)

      Delete