Wednesday, January 22, 2014

As Perceived by Crystellen Treasure 7

I shook my head and looked at the guys who conversed across the dance floor with Robert.  “I’m sure they’d love to dance with you.  Think about it, Em.  They’re all taller than you, so they can more easily look down your dress.”

My ever-prudish sister gave me a shocked expression, though I didn’t know why.  Em was sixteen and rather cute and Robert, who himself looked okay, did have several handsome male friends here.
“Crissy, how dare you say such a thing?  I’m telling mother what you just said.”

Before she could leave, I stuck out my tongue.  “If you don’t want to be an old maid,” I replied, “then you need to be a little more friendly with guys.  For starters, sis, the neck line on your dress is way too high.  You need it to be several inches lower if you want to get their attention.”

Emerys gave me a horrified look.  “Where on Earth did you get such ideas?”

I cocked my head to the side and put my hands on my hips.  “The library.  Mom dropped me off a few weeks ago and I read the latest issue of Cosmo.  You’d be surprised what you can learn about the world, Em.  I mean, do you know the twenty-five moves to please a man?”
My sister turned around and went in search of our mother.  Oh well, I knew I’d be grounded, but at least I got out of dancing.  I looked around.  I hated dancing in front of people, and would do anything to get out of it, even if it meant that Mom would lecture me tonight about the behavior of a young lady.

I wandered over to the punch bowl.  There really were a lot of people here.  Robert must have a lot of friends.
I looked over at where he and Cat chatted with several guys.  Robert must really love my sister.  After all, once you marry a slow-aging mermaid, you end up losing your friends.  You have to.  You can’t have them notice when your wife doesn’t age as fast as you do.

I walked over to where Dad conversed with Robert’s father.  I was bored.  Why did my sister have to go off and get married, I had wondered.  Why couldn’t she just have stayed home and lived with us?
I looked down at the carpet in our living room floor and then at Emerys’ boyfriend, who still slept on the couch. 

Great, I thought.  I wonder how long it’ll be before these two get married.  I could see the look in her eyes.  Emerys was many things, and she was usually subtle, but her interest in Losten had been anything but that.
So, why couldn’t he see it?  For being so smart, why was he so slow?  Was she going to have to ask him on a date?  Actually, she was the one who insisted he come here this evening, so I guess this sort of counted as a date.  Not that lying unconscious on a girl’s couch was what most guys would call a fun evening.

I glanced down at my watch.  I’d been sitting her for fifteen minutes.  How long would I have to wait?

1 comment:

  1. Crystalellen will be eating her own words and deeds the day she finds her man.

    ReplyDelete