Monday, March 10, 2014

As Perceived by Crystellen Treasure 8

I sat on the couch for over an hour before my mother finally let me be excused.  Somebody needed to make Losten’s supper, but since my mother insisted that she do it and banned me from the kitchen, I convinced her to at least let me head upstairs.

I’m not sure why Mom relented, but I, for one, had grown tired of Emerys’ hate stairs.  Didn’t she know I was just doing this to protect us?  To protect her?
I laid down on my bed and stared at the ceiling.  Why didn’t Emerys understand how obviously contrived this situation had appeared.  A guy she saved just happened to be in her class.  Just happened to meet her in the library.  Just happened to offer to tutor her.  Just happened to ask her to a dance.  Just happened to start dating her. 

I don’t think the circumstances could have been more contrived.  So, of course, I wanted to peer into his mind.  Someone had to keep us all safe, and given the way she talked about him, it certainly wasn’t going to be her.  I think he would have had to hold up a big sign that said, ‘I’m the Manicotti’ for her to suspect him.
Em, I thought, why couldn’t you be more like me?  Why did you have to get yourself so wrapped up in this guy that you could no longer be objective?

A tear ran down the side of my face.  I wiped it away with my hand.  Oh, great.  Just what I need everyone seeing.
I laid there for a long time before Mom appeared at my door.

“Young lady,” she said, “it’s time for you to come downstairs and apologize.”
“Apologize for what?” I replied.

Mom gave me an unpleasant stare.  I knew that my remark would cost me an extra shift in the water, but I got tired of no one appreciating what I’d done to keep us safe.
“Come, young lady,” she said.  I knew protesting would only make the inevitable worse, so I got out of bed, changed into some blue jeans, and followed her downstairs.

1 comment:

  1. See, what this all comes down to is, neither side could see the others pov even a little bit

    ReplyDelete